The global competencies are set of dispositions, knowledge, and skills needed to live and work in a global society. These competencies include attitudes that embrace an openness, respect, and appreciation for diversity, valuing of multiple perspectives, empathy, and social responsibility; knowledge of global issues and current events, global interdependence, world history, culture, and geography; and the ability to communicate across cultural and linguistic boundaries, collaborate with people from diverse backgrounds, think critically and analytically, problem-solve, and take action on issues of global importance.
Explore each competency as a whole, or dive into specific elements to find resources that will help you improve across the continuum.
- Understanding of global conditions and current events
- Understanding of the ways that the world is interconnected
- Experiential understanding of multiple cultures
- Understanding of intercultural communication
- Communicate in multiple languages
- Create a classroom environment that values diversity and global engagement
- Integrate learning experiences for students that promote content-aligned explorations of the world
- Facilitate intercultural and international conversations
- Develop local, national, or international partnerships
- Develop and use appropriate methods of inquiry to assess students' global competence development